The Straub Environmental Center connects our community with nature in the mid-Willamette Valley.
We envision a community connected with–and caring for–nature.
- A cycle of impact: To create a knowledge of current science, leading to increased curiosity and growth in understanding, and respect for the environment. Teaching action and leadership through service in our community.
- Community Service: Taking action together to create a sustainable enviroment
- Real world environmental education: Connecting schools and students to their community to serve the local environment.
- The earth as the place where we live: Exploring our interconnectedness with the environment.
- Collaborative Vision: Leading to more powerful action from all community members
- Access for everyone: Providing opportunities to our diverse community. People of all ages.
- Impact through sustainable resources: Serving in a sustainable manner, environmentally, socially and economically
- To teach sustainable practices in an innovate, fun way. To learn from experience and to celebrate each success!
Our Educational Philosophy
SEC Connects People with Nature in the Mid-Willamette Valley
The Straub Environmental Center’s (SEC) mission is to inspire our community to connect with nature and care for the environment in the mid-Willamette Valley. To do this, SEC provides educational programs for children and adults that:
- promote a sustainable approach to daily life,
- increase science literacy,
- create awareness and understanding of our natural world,
- inspire ecological stewardship.
SEC’s Main Campus is the Outdoors
We put a premium on providing direct educational experiences outdoors. We help people leave the virtual world behind and enter into the real-world—one where Nature is just waiting to be explored. Studies show that learning in nature increases knowledge retention, provides health benefits, and motivates people to adopt environmentally-friendly practices in their own lives. SEC believes the first step to environmental stewardship is experiencing the wonders of the natural world first-hand.
Governor Bob and Pat Straub
Governor Bob and Pat Straub were the inspiration for theStraub Environmental Center (SEC). The Straubs were renowned for their love of Oregon and their efforts to preserve its natural beauty. SEC seeks to promote that spirit by fostering public awareness of the beauty and cultural history of the Willamette Valley.
Governor Straub’s contributions to the people of Oregon during his terms as State Treasurer and Governor were considerable. His unyielding efforts to protect the public use and open access to Oregon’s beaches, and his tireless support for Oregon’s statewide land use program, helped place Oregon at the forefront of the environmental movement. He also initiated the Willamette Greenway program, one of the most important conservation and recreation initiatives in Oregon’s history.
Mrs. Pat Straub helped shape and support the Governors environmental views. She served on the Oregon Forestry Council and wrote a book dedicated to organic gardening, a true testament to her devotion to the health of Oregon’s lands. Their homestead featured organic gardens and native woodlands which they later donated to the City of Salem as a park.